Saturday 28 September 2013

Recent Outings

 A few interesting things have been happening in the bishop's world in recent weeks, so time for an update on where I've been and what I've been up to.
This photo was taken in Southwold while on a one-night camping trip with my wonderful wife. Methodists are supposed to be teetotal - very few of them are in my experience. I was grateful that this church was over 100 miles from home, or I could lose half my congregation. The church building is actually situated next to the brewery and they seem to coexist quite happily cheek by jowl. This would not have been the case a century ago- there would have been pickets, prayer meetings and demonstrations, and the Methodists would have been even worse.
 Weather was glorious, and we walked into Southwold from Walberswick, which was a delight. The return at sunset across the golf course and common after fish and chips was idyllic.
Not sure if I have posted about this, but on August 5th my first grandchild, Rowan, was born. My little daughter is a wonderful Mom, and my son-in-law a great father. Rowan is gorgeous, but I thought I would make this the first picture - think this mouthful of Mom's milk didn't quite pass quality control.
 Here's a gorgeous one to compensate. He really is a lovely cute baby. So proud of my daughter and son-in-law.
Four weeks later the twin girls were born - more on that to follow in another blog. But to have a grandson and two granddaughters as well as two sons and two daughters, two sons-in-law and one daughter-in-law with another to follow next year,all of whom are wonderful, is wealth beyond imagination
 Last night Mrs. L and I went out to the theatre, but first dinner at Wagamama. Really impressed with this place in Highcross in Leicester; very tasty noodle dishes at reasonable prices. These two meals look similar but don't be fooled - mine has no chilli, garlic or spice in, and Mrs. L's has another use - blasting rock in the local quarry.
 A rather revealing outfit my gorgeous wife was wearing made the view very enjoyable. Anyone for dumplings?

On to the theatre to see the new Alan Bennett play "People". Script and storyline and general air of comforting melancholia up to his usual very high standards, but I was irritated at the stereotypical portrayal of Church leaders. Mrs. L. pointed out that they were only Church of England clergy so it didn't matter so much. Fair comment I suppose. Then I thought through the cast and realised that all the characters were stereotypes, and the clergy were not singled out for special treatment.
Perhaps I was just disappointed because Mrs. L got to see a man's bare bottom (why women find this part of a man's anatomy attractive is completely beyond me) and I was not really similarly rewarded. I won't say more for fear of giving too much away.

 On the way out we were able to see what went on behind the scenes, and just how complex the whole operation is.

 Some of the many props....
 ... including several chamber pots that had been filled with the pee of famous people (don't ask!)
And a glimpse onto the stage; it all made me want to tread the boards myself; perhaps one day when I am retired.

Well we're off to Rhodes in a few weeks time for our main holiday - delayed this year by the arrival of grandchildren, and a price well worth paying. Now that will probably take a few blogs, if there is nothing much to report in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment