Tuesday 21 May 2013

Sabbatical start

The blogging must get under way, my wife (who in deference to her nomenclature for me I shall call Mrs.L) is so good at it - see nicemurderknitter@blogspot.
Nearly 6 years into my current job - mainly being the minister of a Baptist cum Methodist church in Leicester and also a university chaplain and various other bits and pieces, none particularly important.
I started this job after a two year break from being a cleric when I drove a taxi to recover from the rather vicious beating I had experienced at my former post. Not a literal beating, you understand, just the slow torture of character assassination, undermining of credibility, endless passive aggression and a final coup de grace when the opportunity arose - or I should say was manufactured by some amazingly clever conspirators who would have been so wonderful had they put their time and energy into something useful.
I love my current church to bits - they are wonderful, and the last 6 years have flown by.
Now I am due a three month break from church duties and I have so much to get done in that time.
Yesterday I spent writing; I want to relate the story of my time in a private hire cab in West Yorkshire, because it was such an interesting and rewarding period in my life. I began writing when I stopped driving, so it has been coming along in dribs and drabs for 6 years. Yesterday I was very proud of myself - 4,000 words and now through the 70,000 word barrier.
I am planning a bit more today, then I am off to visit a church in Manchester where they work with people from deprived backgrounds - something I want to explore is communicating faith to people who have low literacy skills and little education (not that it will help much in my current church where half the congregation seem to have PhD's or other doctorates!) Then to the Primitive Methodist museum and library in Engleseabrook for a couple of days because I want to look at what may have been an authentic working class movement of the 19th century to see how they went about reaching people today's churches are so pants at connecting with. 

1 comment:

  1. 'Pants' one of those cleirical terms I am not familiar with! love the quilt....

    ReplyDelete